It is inevitable that the drain in your sink or shower drain will clog up from time to time. If it is backed up, then you’ll start getting nasty reflux and smells that will quickly ruin the time you spend nearby. It will also make it very difficult to get anything done. Luckily, you don’t need a major fix to get the job done. If the clog is serious, then you need a professional immediately. If it’s simple, you can probably do it yourself. Here’s how to unclog your sink or shower drain:
First, avoid them altogether!
It might be too late, but the best way to get rid of clogs is to prevent them in the first place. Some great tips are:
- Don’t pour grease down the drain
- Scrape plates clean so food doesn’t go down the drain
- Make sure to cover your shower drain with a punctured cap
- And remove hair from the shower regularly
The best offense in this case is a good defense. Stop problems before they begin.
How to quickly unclog your shower or sink drain
So you’ve got a nasty clog, some unsightly regurgitation from the pipes, and a foul smell. It’s time to get to work. Here’s how to quickly unclog the shower or sink drain:
- First, make sure you’ve got some baking soda and vinegar
- Then, get a metal wire and a hook on one end
- Next, remove the cap and survey the situation. The clog might be minor enough to simply remove the blockage by hand
- Dig into the drain with your metal hook and use a little elbow grease to remove the blockage
- After you’ve removed the blockage, pour some baking soda and one cup of vinegar
If you see white foam, then that means it is working!
After you’ve poured in the mixture, wait a few minutes to let it work its magic. From there you should turn on hot water and let it run for a bit to clean out the pipe. Anything left over should go down the drain at this point.
Want to get rid of clogs easily? Then all you need is baking soda, vinegar, and a metal wire. If the clog is major or you have other drain issues, then you need a professional drain company. Drain King EPS is one of Surrey’s leading drain, plumbing, and heating companies. Contact us today!